TTW: Prolonged Exposure Treatment for PTSD (Therapist Guide)
An estimated 70% of adults in the United States have experienced a traumatic event at least once in their lives. Though most recover on their own, up to 20% develop chronic Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). For these people, overcoming PTSD requires the help of a professional.
This guide gives clinicians the information they need to treat clients who exhibit the symptoms of PTSD. It is based on the principles of Prolonged Exposure Therapy, the most scientifically-tested and proven treatment that has been used to effectively treat victims of all types of trauma. Whether your client is a veteran of combat, a victim of a physical or sexual assault, or a casualty of a motor vehicle accident, the techniques and strategies outlined in this book will help.
In this treatment clients are exposed to imagery of their traumatic memories, as well as real-life situations related to the traumatic event in a step-by-step, controllable way. Through these exposures, your client will learn to confront the trauma and begin to think differently about it, leading to a marked decrease in levels of anxiety and other PTSD symptoms.
This book, and it's accompanying workbook is part of the required homework reading for the Dialectical Behavior Therapy 10-Day Intensive Training Course©.
If you are interested in further training and information about Exposure, you may also be interested in our online learning courses Foundations of Exposure Therapies and Mastery of Anxiety and Panic for Adolescents with the accompanying manual by Donna B Pincus, Jill T Ehrenreich, and Sara G Mattis
You may also be interested in the following titles available on this website:
- Handbook of Exposure Therapies by David C.S. Richard and Dean Lauterbach
- Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic, 2nd Ed by Michelle G. Craske and David H. Barlow
- Mastering Your Fears and Phobias, 2nd Ed. by Michelle G. Craske, Martin M. Antony and David Barlow
- Mastery of Your Anxiety and Worry by Richard E. Zinbarg, Michelle G. Craske and David H. Barlow
- Mastery of Anxiety and Panic for Adolescents: Riding the Wave Therapist Guide by Donna B Pincus, Jill T Ehrenreich, and Sara G Mattis
Authors: Edna Foa, Elizabeth Hembree and Barbara Olaslov Rothbaum
Publisher: Oxford University Press